Company: B&W Plant Hire
Weekly wage: £3.70 per hour
Job description: AAT Accounting Apprentice
About the Employer
B&W Plant Hire was formed in 1994 by Bill Whitwell, the company is now over 20 years old and during this time it has become one of the Northwest’s leading plant hire companies. The B&W team mirror Bill’s original values of customer care and attention to detail.
You would learn how to use manual and computerised accounting systems to carry out a wide range of accounting duties and you will start to develop double entry bookkeeping skills and gain knowledge of management and administrative processes. You will also learn basic costing principles and how to work with sales and purchase ledgers.
You will be responsible for assisting with day-to-day finance activities as directed by your line manager.
Principle Accountabilities & Duties:
- To complete the Apprenticeship training programme (2 Years)
- To attend in-house training and college as and when required
- To provide feedback by the completion of a log book on a weekly basis listing the main duties carried out and countersigned by line manager
- To develop good working relationships with colleagues
- To process accounting transactions on the Accounting IT system
- Assisting with the processing and payment of invoices as required
- Assisting with the monthly accounting procedures such as journals and reconciliations
- Provision of general clerical support for the office including photocopying, filing, updating and retrieval of records
- The list is typical of the level of duties which the post holder is expected to perform or be responsible for. It is not necessarily exhaustive and other duties of a similar type and level may be expected from time to time.
Requirements and prospects
An accountant requires a range of skills to do their job. These include:
Numerical competence There is no need to be a Maths genius but you must be comfortable with numbers and have a Maths GCSE or equivalent to do the AAT Qualification.
Communication skills You need to be able to confidently communicate technical information to others with no accounting knowledge. It is important to be able to communicate clearly at all levels of the business.
Team player Accountants often work in teams. You need to work well with others to get and deliver information which makes it easier to do your job.
Interpersonal skills You must be able to interact with others. Building relationships with people in the business is important as they will help you carry out your role.
Problem solving in accounting you will often need to determine the best way to solve a problem. You may encounter challenges so it is important you find a way to overcome obstacles.
Commitment and motivation Accountancy training is not easy. Your employer will be investing time and money in you so you need to demonstrate you are committed to learning and show you are motivated to succeed.
Reporting skills Accountants need to prepare statistical and written reports. Report writing is a skill you will develop as your career progresses.
Attention to detail You have to pay attention to small details as miscalculations can lead to misinterpretation. Your training will teach you to take a methodical approach.
Time management Accountants often work on several projects at a time so you need to manage and prioritise your work load to meet goals and deadlines.
Professionalism Accountants have a responsibility to operate professionally and ethically. This includes how you treat others, your behaviour in the work place and your work performance, including discretion with sensitive information.
Business awareness Accountants work in all business areas so they need to be aware of what is happening in the business environment around them. You need to keep up to date with current issues and any changes in industry regulations.
The ability to work as an individual as well as part of a team and be respectful to team members at all times. Be an excellent communicator at all levels, via telephone and face to face. Be able to use their own initiative.
Minimum of grade B in Maths and 4 GCSEs grade C or above including English. Information Technology is desirable. Other equivalent qualifications are acceptable.
How to apply:
Call:01254 354 220