Breastfeeding is acknowledged nationally and internationally as the best start in life for a baby and by normalising breastfeeding in our communities we play a vital role in supporting mothers who choose to breastfeed their babies.
- Mothers are welcome to breastfeed anywhere.
- That breastfeeding mothers will not be asked to use toilets to feed, as we understand that this is not acceptable as a private area for breastfeeding.
- If a mother wishes to breastfeed her baby in private every effort will be made to provide clean, comfortable facilities, either in a separate room or a quiet area.
- Should another person object to breastfeeding our staff will politely explain that we support breastfeeding mothers and if appropriate offer alternative seating to the complainant (not request that the breastfeeding mother moves or stops feeding).
- We will provide helpful and friendly staff who have an awareness of the needs of breastfeeding mothers and their babies.
- Staff will have an awareness of the Equality Act 2010 which states that mothers have the right to breastfeed in public.
- New and existing staff will be made aware of the pledge and that breastfeeding is supported within our premises.